Youth Advisory Council
Promoting Compassion & Philanthropy Within the Community
The Youth Advisory Council (YAC) is the permanent youth committee of the Marshall Community Foundation. The group consists of approximately 28 Marshall High School students working together with the YAC Advisor to promote compassion for others & philanthropy within the Marshall Community and Calhoun County.
Purposes of the Youth Advisory Council:
- Assess local youth needs
- Raise funds for specific projects
- Review grant applications that benefit local youth; make financial recommendations to the Marshall Community Foundation board of trustees in regard to grants involving youth
- Participate in community volunteerism
- Encourage other youth to become involved in philanthropy
- Coordinate with other YAC organizations in Calhoun County to promote volunteerism
The YACkers’ main goal is to serve the youth in their community and learn the importance of philanthropy. The group is committed to community service projects and achieves this through grant awards and hands-on activities. The YACkers work closely with community service organizations and the Marshall Public Schools.
The Youth Advisory Council, as part of the Marshall Community Foundation was organized in 1991. The W.K. Kellogg Foundation provided a 50% match for endowed funds raised locally with a maximum match of $1 million. The Kellogg Foundation required that a Youth Endowment Fund be established with match dollars and that interest gained from the endowment be used for youth programming. The YAC reviews grant proposals and makes recommendations to the Marshall Community Foundation’s Board of Trustees regarding the allocation of youth funds.
How YAC Serves…
The Youth Advisory Council has continued to grow in members and activities since first organized. Over the past several years, the YAC group has been actively involved in community service projects in Marshall and Calhoun County.
Activities of the Youth Advisory Council:
- MACS Adopt-A-Family for Christmas
- Recycling coordination at Marshall High School
- S.A.F.E. Place volunteer programs
- Christmas Parade
- Teambuilding activities
- “March is Reading Month”
- Calhoun County YAC Programs
Interested in making decisions that will benefit the youth in the greater Marshall Area? For more information on the Youth Advisory Council (YAC), please contact us @ [email protected]